Here is our White Chicken Chili Recipe.
This is a quick and delicious meal. You won’t believe how easy it is!
It will take about 15 mins to prepare and 25 mins to cook. This can also be done in advance and stored in the freezer. Then, all you have to do is put it in a crock pot on low in the morning and – boom – you have dinner.
The ingredients you will need are:
- 1 ½ pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed.
- 1 cup of white onion, chopped.
- 2 (14 oz) cans of chicken broth.
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 2 ½ teaspoons of ground cumin.
- 2 heaping teaspoons of dried oregano.
- 1 (4 oz) can of chopped green chilies.
- 3 (14 oz) cans of great northern beans, drained.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cayenne pepper.
- 1 cup or 4 oz block shredded white cheddar cheese (optional).
- a few sprigs of chives, chopped (optional).
This is what to do:
- Add cubed chicken and olive oil to large pot
- Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally
- Add diced garlic and chopped onion to pot
- Cook until chicken is lightly browned
- Add chopped chilies, chicken broth, cumin, cayenne pepper, and oregano, bring to a boil
- Mash the beans in 1 can of Great Northern beans
- Add all 3 cans of beans
- Simmer 20 mins. stirring occasionally
- Optional: Top with shredded cheddar and chives
Detailed Instructions for White Chicken Chili with Pictures:
First, cut up the chicken breast into about 1 inch cubes. Then, add the chicken and the 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a large pot. Heat over medium heat about 3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
While the chicken is cooking, chop up the onion and dice the garlic. We have this awesome GarlicZoom garlic chopper (above in the picture on the right) that we use to chop up our garlic. You just get the outer skin off of the garlic, put the garlic inside and push it back and forth on the counter. It can do 2 cloves at once and dices it up perfectly.
Make sure you are stirring the chicken occasionally while you are preparing the onion and garlic!
Once the 1 cup of white onion is chopped and the 2 cloves of garlic are minced, add them to the pot with the chicken. Continue to cook until the chicken is lightly browned and the onions are translucent.
When your chicken is browned, add the 4 oz of chopped green chilies, 2 cans of chicken broth, 2 ½ teaspoons of cumin, 1 ½ teaspoons of cayenne pepper, and the 2 teaspoons of dried oregano. Bring it all to a boil.
While you are waiting on that to boil, drain the 3 cans of Great Northern beans. Then, take one of the cans and use a fork to mash them up. (We use one of our favorite tools – the Cuisineart Smart Stick immersion blender. The SmartStick fits inside the can and makes mashing up the beans super easy and quick!) Add the two cans of drained beans and the can of mashed beans to the pot.
Now that you have all of the ingredients for the chili in the boiling pot, turn it down to a simmer. You will want to let it simmer for about 20 mins being sure to stir occasionally so that nothing sticks or burns.
The next part is optional but recommended. While the chili is simmering, take your 4 oz block of white cheddar cheese and shred it up using a cheese shredder. You will also want to dice up the chives, saving the tips for a little bit of garnish if you would like.
Once the 20 minutes are up, fill up your bowl, top with the white cheddar cheese, and sprinkle with the chopped chives. For added effect, add a few of the ends of the chives you have left. Enjoy!